Submitted on Fri, 05-December-2014
- Brush Gugelhupf mould with melted butter and sprinkle with flour. Preheat oven to 170 °C (fan).
- Melt the chocolate in a warm bain-marie. Stir together the butter with the icing sugar and vanilla sugar to make a cream. Stir in the egg yolks and fold in the melted chocolate.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt and the granulated sugar to form a stiff peak. Carefully stir into the mixture and add the flour.
- Pour into the prepared mould, and bake for 50 – 55 minutes. Allow to cool briefly and then turn out. Cover the lukewarm Gugelhupf with gently-heated jam, then with the prepared glaze.
- Glaze: Mix sugar and water in a small saucepan and allow to simmer over a high heat for approx. 5 minutes. Leave to cool to around 40 °C (fan). Melt chocolate slowly in a bain-marie. Stir the lukewarm sugar water into the chocolate, mix to a smooth glaze and cover the Gugelhupf.
Source: Austrian National Tourist Office