Submitted on Fri, 05-December-2014
- Heat the milk until lukewarm. Dissolve the yeast in it, add a pinch of sugar and stir in sufficient flour so that the mix is no longer totally liquid. Dust with a little flour and leave to rise approx. 30 minutes.
- Mix flour in a bowl with the egg, egg yolk, the proved mix, sugar, a pinch of salt and lemon peel and pour in the melted butter. Stir or beat into a smooth dough. Leave in a warm place for at least 45 minutes to rise.
- Filling: Heat up the milk, sprinkle in the ground poppy seeds and semolina and stir in well. Add honey, sugar and rum and stir in the raisins. Stir continuously for a few minutes over a gentle heat. Leave to cool.
- Brush the mould with melted butter and preheat the oven to 180 °C (fan).
- Knead the dough again and roll it out to form a rectangle (50×20 cm). Spread the poppy filling along the length in the middle, fold the two uncoated areas over the top and place the roll into the mould. Allow the ends to overlap a little.
- Brush generously with butter and bake for 45 – 50 minutes until golden brown. If it browns too quickly, cover with aluminium foil. Serve dusted with icing sugar.
Source: Austrian National Tourist Office