Submitted on Fri, 28-November-2014
- Preheat oven to 170 °C (fan), grease Gugelhupf mould with melted butter.
- Separate the eggs. Beat the butter with the egg yolks to a cream, add the icing sugar, stir thoroughly. Flavour with vanilla sugar and grated lemon peel.
- Beat egg whites briefly with granulated sugar to form stiff peaks. Mix flour and baking powder, and add half of this together with the milk to the egg yolk mix. Alternately introduce the egg white mix and flour into the yolk mix.
- Fill not quite half the mix into the Gugelhupf mould. Use the cocoa powder to darken the colour of the remaining mix, and flavour with a shot of rum if preferred.
- Pour the darker mix into the mould and drag a cooking spoon’s handle in waves through the two mixes.
- Bake for 50 – 55 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then tip out. Leave to cool and dust with icing sugar.
Source: Austrian National Tourist Office