Submitted on Wed, 26-November-2014
- Grease the Gugelhupf mould with butter. Scatter the almond flakes into the mould. Preheat the oven to around 170 °C (fan).
- Cream the room-temperature butter with two-thirds of the granulated sugar and vanilla sugar. Gradually stir in the egg yolks. Flavour with grated lemon peel.
- Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt and the remaining granulated sugar to form stiff peaks.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder and fold into the egg yolk mix, alternating with the whites. Dust the well-drained raisins lightly with flour and stir in together with the walnuts.
- Pour into the prepared mould and bake for 45 – 50 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool briefly, and then turn out. Dust with icing sugar. Cut the Gugelhupf into slices and garnish to taste with sweetened whipped cream
Baking time: 45 – 50 minutes
Source: Austrian National Tourist Office