Submitted on Fri, 11-April-2014
- Soak the raisins in some rum or warm water several hours before, preferably the night prior to the frying.
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk. Mix the flour, sugar and the lemon zest, and stir the milk and yeast mix carefully.
- Add the egg and the salt and stir the butter for several minutes until everything is nicely blended.
- Stir in the drained raisins.
- Cover and let rise until it doubles its volume, stir down and let rise again.
- In the meantime, heat the oil in the fryer up to 190°C (375F). Place a plate with several paper towels to soak up the excess fat of the fried goods.
- Stir the butter down. Now use a large spoon or an ice cream scoop to take out a portion, drop it into the hot oil and fry for about four minutes on each side or until it becomes brown. It is important to gauge the temperature of your oil: too hot and the oil will scorch the outside, but leave the inside of the balls uncooked.
- Drain the balls on paper towels, then transfer onto a new plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar.