Submitted on Fri, 05-December-2014
- Soak the saffron in gently-heated rum.
- Preheat oven to 170 °C and grease Gugelhupf mould with melted butter. Dust with flour.
- Beat the eggs and whip up with water to make a generous foam. Pour in the oil and, after beating briefly, add the sugar. Continue to beat to a cream until the mixture has again clearly grown in volume.
- Add the flour to the baking powder, pine kernels and candied orange peel and mix. Add the softened saffron. Pour into the mould and bake for around 55 – 65 minutes. Allow to cool and tip out. Sprinkle with icing sugar or glaze.
- Glaze: Mix icing sugar with lemon juice and stir in sufficient water to form a velvety glazing mix. Cover the Gugelhupf with the glaze and leave to harden.
Source: Austrian National Tourist Office